my Ball-jointed dolly
I’ve sculpted and resculpted my first attempt at making a porcelain doll . Now it lays in a meat tray drying out getting ready to get fired. I really have no idea what I’m doing but as my usual method of learning I have research what I could and then the rest is trial and error.
Yesterday I made little molds from various size balls to use in making the ball joints. I used sculpty to make them. Seems to work pretty good. I have to get some cornstarch to help the clay release from the molds.
I use a protractor ( I think that’s what it is called, the thing you can make circles with but has two points on the ends) as a caliber.
I’m using Dave’s Porcelain clay by Laguna that I bought from Dick Blick.
I made the slip from toilet paper, vinegar and dried bits of porcelain clay and some water but mostly vinegar.
Probably foolishly I am also making an elephant ball jointed doll for Ana. If I was smart and or patient I should wait till the first doll is fired so I could see where I needed to correct things but that’s not me. Either I will have two wonderful dolls done at the same time or two disasters!