I love making stuff from felted wool that I make from old sweaters. I kind of got carried away and collected about 50 sweaters that are waiting to be turned into something- someday.But back to this project. I will show you how to make your very own anteater purse. I made this one for my daughter who used to always sing along with the song, “Maneater” but she would sing, “Anteater” So I can’t help but think of her when I see an anteater even though she’s grown up now with three kids of her own. But first you have to learn how to felt sweaters.
How to felt the sweaters:
- Throw in the wash with hot water and soap.
- Throw in dryer on high
Ta-Da! Felted wool.Which is wonderful material to work with because it doesn’t ravel and really hides the stiches.
*TIP* Don’t put different colors together or you may get some pink sweater into your grey sweater.
Now for the instructions for making this adorable felted possum purse.
This project is easy for adults or teens who know how to:
- thread a needle
- cut with scissors
- Sew by hand or machine a straight closing stitch
- throw sweaters into a washer machine and then into the dryer
- Matching thread
- Red zipper ( I like using metal zippers because they look more like teeth)
- 2 Black shiny rounded buttons for eyes
- Old grey sweater (felted, that means washed and dried to shrink it)
- Small length of pink sweater felted for tongue or a piece of store bought pink felt
- White felt or a felted white sweater for claws and eyes.
- Long piece of ribbon for the strap
- needle or sewing machine
- straight pins
- washing machine